Monday, June 13, 2016

Cicada Sunday

Went for a walk during the day. It must have been around 2:00pm when I headed out. This time I took a different path than normal. Being a little more adventurous. I still stuck to paved roads since I was wearing shorts and running shoes. It was a great walk which went for about 1.9 miles from start to finish. At first the heat wrapped around me due to the sun but near the end the clouds brought shade. The breeze was no longer warm but rather refreshing. Walking along the roads I could hear a lot of cicadas buzzing throughout the desert. For some reason I never had a chance to get to one up close unless I count the time when one was grabbing on to my car antenna for dear life as I cruised down the highway. This must have been over five years ago.

I wondered to myself, "Will I get to see at least one today?" I wasn't planning on going out to hunt for them. Not really worth my time today. As I kept going I noticed a black object about the size of my thumb attached to a shrub next to the road. I got closer and could see it was a majestic cicada basking in the sun. I got closer and closer with camera in hand. So far this little critter was being patient with me. I snapped a few pictures. I tried to get closer and that's when it began to crawl down the stem. It must've been thinking, "Shows over, buddy! Ya got too close!"

I was happy and continued my walk. A few more were seen along the side of the road on bushes. It must be my lucky day. "Snap, snap, snap", went my camera. Another interesting thing I noticed was how some weeds and plants can have the strength to grow from the asphalt. Gwen and I noticed this the other day when we walked an isolated road which had very little traffic. Today I was on such road and found it very interesting. These small little plants when left alone have the strength to break through man's creation. It isn't overnight and it has taken many... weeks? But they have broken through.







"No. I'm, I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way." - Dr. Ian Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment